We invite you to join a circle of friends who share a passion and respect for the history and genealogy of Lancaster and Virginia’s Northern Neck. Membership dues from local residents, as well as supporters nationwide, are essential for the Lancaster Virginia Historical Society to remain a successful and growing organization. LVHS is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation and your membership contributions are eligible for consideration as tax-deductible donations.
Individual (one adult): $35
Family (two adults plus dependents in same household): $60
LVHS Friend (includes Family benefits): $100
LVHS Supporters (includes Family benefits): $300
Teacher/Student (one full-time educator or student): $20
Per person (one-time payment): $500
- Free general admission to the Museum (non-members $5 daily)
- Waiver of daily research fee at the Library (non-members $5 daily)
- 10% discount on most items in the Museum Shop/Bookstore
- Discounted fees or priority seating for many of our ticketed programs and events
- Invitations to members-only educational and social events
- Notices of other special events, exhibits, and programs at the Museum & Library
- Mailed newsletters and occasional research publications
- Voting privileges at the annual meeting and board of directors elections
DONATIONS: Financial Gifts
Every dollar makes a difference to our Annual Fund (general operating budget) or special project funds such as the New Library Capital Campaign, African American Oral History Project, Library Book Fund, and Facilities Maintenance Fund. LVHS is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation and your contributions are eligible for consideration as tax-deductible donations.
- Online: Donate by Credit/Debit Card, Apple Pay, Google Pay, or CashApp at our Square Site. You can also make one-time or monthly payments by PayPal.
- By Mail: Send a check to LVHS, PO Box 97, Lancaster VA 22503.
We also welcome gifts of stocks, IRA qualified charitable distributions, bequests, and other planned giving. Please contact us for more information.
DONATIONS: Physical Gifts/Historical Items
If you are interested in donating items to our Museum, Archives, or Library Collections, please contact us. We welcome the opportunity to consider gifts that support the mission, purpose, and goals of our historical society, and will review offered items on the basis of:
- Relevance to the mission to “discover, collect, preserve, understand and interpret the history of Lancaster and surrounding counties of the Commonwealth of Virginia for the enjoyment and educational benefit of all residents, succeeding generations, and visitors, and for the vitality of the area”
- Fit of item with respect to Collections scope and goals. (For example: Does it fill a gap in our holdings or does it duplicate types of items already owned?)
- Condition of item and requirements for exhibition and/or long-term preservation and care.
Please do not bring unsolicited items to the Museum or Library. We are unable to accept items unless advance arrangements have been made. Also, LVHS cannot provide appraisals or valuations.
When you share your time and talents with LVHS, you can:
- Be a part of preserving, understanding, and sharing local history and genealogy
- Discover a variety of roles to fit your skills and interests
- Meet new people and build camaraderie with other volunteers
- Enjoy special Volunteer League programs, field trips, and social activities
Volunteer service is vital to the Lancaster Virginia Historical Society! LVHS is run by a volunteer board of directors and many volunteer committees with the support of just two employees, a full-time Executive Director and part-time Programs & Operations Assistant. Volunteers greet and guide our visitors, perform historical and genealogical research, maintain our garden, plan and produce exhibits, provide food and hospitality for special events, assist with fundraisers, help coordinate adult and student educational school programs, run the gift shop, provide administrative support, and more!
Volunteers might give their services for a few hours a year, a regular shift per week, or an ongoing commitment to support a particular activity or project. Every effort will be made to match volunteer availability to museum and library schedules. Volunteers will receive training related to their responsibilities, so prior experience is not a requirement for most positions.
Contact us about finding the right volunteer job for you!